Rules of procedure of the Bureau
The Bureau shall:
a) provide general policy guidance and operational and financial direction to the Agreement Secretariat and the subregional Co-ordination Units concerning the implementation and promotion of the Agreement;
b) carry out, between sessions of the Meeting of the Parties, such interim activities on its behalf as may be necessary or assigned to it by the Meeting of the Parties; and
c) represent the Parties vis-à-vis the Government of the Host Country of the Agreement Secretariat and the Meeting of the Parties, the Depositary and other international Organizations on matters relating to the Agreement and its Secretariat.
The Bureau shall meet at least twice between two Meetings of the Parties. One of these Meetings shall be held six months before each Meeting of Parties, and will act as a preparatory Meeting for the Meeting of Parties.
1. At its preparatory meeting for the Meeting of the Parties and in the accomplishment of the functions provided for in Article 1, a) and b), the Bureau shall be supported, as observers, by:
- a representative of the State holding the next Meeting of the Parties, if not already represented in the Bureau,
- a representative of each of the two sub-regional Co-ordination Units,
- a Working Group.
The Bureau, with the help of these observers, will have the task to examine:
- the progress made in the activities of the Secretariat and the sub-regional Co-ordination Units;
- the proposals made by the Scientific Committee, and
- the drafts of Recommendations and Resolutions to be submitted to the Meeting of the Parties.
2. The Working Group shall be made up of three experts having extensive experience in social and economic aspects of conservation and management of marine biodiversity. The three experts shall be selected before the third year of each triennium by the Bureau in close consultation with the Secretariat, according to the development of the Working Programme and the priorities to be taken in consideration for the subsequent triennium. The three experts shall be selected based on their Curriculum vitae.
3. Cumulative function between member of the Scientific Committee and member of the Working Group shall be avoided.
4. The Secretariat shall invite the three selected experts to attend the Bureau Meeting on a voluntary basis and shall cover their travel and accommodation fees.
5. Each Party not represented in the Bureau can send an observer to the Meeting of the Bureau preparatory for the Meeting of the Parties. The Party concerned shall cover the travel and accommodation fees of the observer.
The precise dates of the Meetings shall be set by the Chairperson of the Bureau, after consultation with the Secretariat and the other members. The Secretariat shall inform the members of the Bureau, as well as all Parties of the date, place and agenda of each Meeting and shall invite them to participate.
The Secretariat shall inform the members of the Working Group of the date, place and agenda of the Meeting of the Bureau preparatory to the Meeting of the Parties and shall invite them to participate.
The Secretariat shall prepare the provisional agenda of each Meeting, in consultation with the Chairperson of the Bureau.
The Bureau shall provide a report on its activities for each session of the Meeting of the Parties that shall be circulated to all Parties in advance of the session by the Agreement Secretariat.
The Chairperson of the Scientific Committee shall be invited to participate as an observer in the Meetings of the Bureau.
The Agreement Secretariat shall provide secretariat services for the Bureau Meetings.
These rules may be amended as required by the Meeting of the Parties.
Last Updated (Wednesday, 08 January 2014 13:10)